Ten top tips for successful scaling up
Alan Brewis, Enterprise Works 2005
Practical Action Boilng Point Issue 50 2005
Please read the whole article for the details. Every tips has great detail that will save you hours of work.
The premise: in creating a successful stoves scale up - you need to create a supply chain of successful stoves manufacturers and retail businesses, as well as people who will be able to maintain and fix the stoves (even when they are imported from elsewhere).
- Don't tell the customer that you are from an NGO
- Know your customers and their habits
- Copy good ideas from the private sector - e.g. manufacturing, branding and marketing tips
- Give the stove status and style
- Balance demand creation with supply
- Pay attention to quality control
- Treat your retailers well
- Pay your sales agents on a commission basis
- Beware of projects bearing your stoves as gifts. This undercuts your hardworking retail outlets
- Use your stove on a regular basis, using your stove to cook on will help you educate your customers and improve your stoves